Friday, May 20, 2011

#9: Free Rent

Here's a tip: make the ultimate hipster move... back home.

I speak from experience, y'all-- shortly after graduating from college, I packed up all my things and moved right back home. DTLA -> LA. 10 miles, to be exact.  It was like I had never left.  I was then a student for 3+ years. Did I pay rent? No.  Did I get free meals? Yes. Was it awesome? Hell to the yeah.

Lest you judge me now (as a working woman, questionable motives, possibly not paying rent), I do currently pay rent.  To my parents.  Utilities, groceries, prepared meals included.  I mean, forreal, who wouldn't want to live in my house?  (Rhetorical question.)  I don't have a nice trust fund set up, so I will probably work until I'm 80, you know, when Social Security runs out or something.  If you haven't noticed by now re: the lack of funnies in this post, it's me, xmaox. Hipster-in-training will return during other regularly scheduled intervals. She writes 10 posts, I write 1.

Some things I have learned and will bestow upon you (our five wonderful readers) for a successful rent-free but not 'rental-free life:
(1) Your family secretly loves doing your laundry. I like to think that makes them feel needed.
(2) Don't have too many guests over, unless you're prepared to field a million questions about them, their jobs (if they even have one, see #8: Fauxjobs), their parents, their money, their salaries...
(3) Wash your own dishes. For goodness sake, you're not a child.
(4) Hang out with them. They aren't going to be around forever. Suddenly, this post turned into a Baz Luhrmann song.
(5) See if your parents have a vinyl collection or other hip vintage-y knick-knackery lying around. I still need to invest in a record player, but my parents have some weirdly amazing vintage clothing (Burberry, Comme des Garçons, etc.). GOLDMINE. Too bad my mother was like, a size zero. Jesus.

Results may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment