Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#4 When Worlds Collide: We are all DONALD

I didn’t even think I was “researching” for this project when I decided to attend the I AM DONALD tour, but there I was, with the most interesting mergence of groups I have encountered in a while. For those of you who don’t know (and may I stress should), Donald Glover is a former-30-rock-writer, current-Troy-on-Community-actor, and also a talented rapper by the name of Childish Gambino. He recently began touring doing a hybrid of standup followed by concert, and a brilliant hybrid at that. It is this combination that brought together a very diverse group.

So I guess hipsters watch Community. It makes sense: it’s the most original comedy on television, critically acclaimed by those who matter, and never receives the recognition (or viewership numbers) it deserves (eff you Golden Globes) to solidify it staying on the air (so all two of you reading should start watching so it doesn’t meet Arrested Development-fate, thanks). Aka the perfect show for a hipster following, so I shouldn’t have been surprised that the sea of plaid was infinite. But I kinda was-- I mean, it was standup show first, sure. But, it was also subsequently a rap concert, and the hiphop crowd was represented accordingly.

So I guess my point is (as if I ever really have one), I was not expecting to see these two groups appreciate each other, but no one left or arrived late in order to avoid half of the performance, no one fought, and I am sure even some members of opposing groups loved. Everyone was united under Donald Glover, Childish Gambino... Jesus? I guess I wouldn’t go that far, but it was enjoyable to see. Now, I didn’t really infiltrate, or try, even. First of all, I was above the masses in the VIP section (Holla Twitter contest winner, right here! I know, you are so jealous of my never-ending coolness), and second of all, I was just enjoying the scene. Everyone together, some people dancing (remember, hipsters headbop only, but hip-hoppers get into it), all laughing.

But this experience gave me hope. If these two different worlds got together once, my personal world could get together with that hipster-world in the future. Sure, I may need to enlist the help of a talented famous person who crosses such diverse genres, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to take.

Oh, sidenote on the best thing I’ve ever heard (totally unrelated but too hilarious not to talk about). As we were walking to the car, a dude was walking out behind us (hopefully, drunk) and in the most excited voice said the following things to his female counterpart (who I’m pretty sure was holding him up) [my thoughts are bracketed and inserted as I listened]:

“Can you believe we just saw Abed? [note, he was not confused about whose show it was, Danny Pudi was in attendance] .... He was standing right next to us and didn’t even care!!!! [he didn’t care that he was himself? Or that he was standing next to you? Or that he was a television character that had a real name?] We, like, saw Abed, and then we saw Abed AGAIN!! And then we stared at Abed! [creepy]”

Basically, a great night on all fronts, for all people, all across the nation.
Goodnight, and Donald Glover bless.

-WEAREALLDONALD-

No comments:

Post a Comment